In exercise of the powers conferred under Section 20 (1) of the NCTE Act, the National Council for Teacher Education had established four Regional Committees at Jaipur, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar and Bhopal covering the territorial jurisdiction of the Northern, Southern, Eastern (and North-Eastern) and Western Regions of the Country respectively. The Regional Committees came into existence on 06.01.1996.
The Regional Committees were established to perform the functions stipulated under Section 14 (Recognition of institutions offering course or training in teacher education), Section 15 (Permission for a new course or training by recognized institution), Section 17(Contravention of provisions of the Act and consequences thereof) of the NCTE Act and such other functions as may be assigned to it by the Council or as may be determined by Regulations.
To perform the functions assigned under the Act through transparent, timely, hassle free procedures
- To consider applications for recognition under the Act obtained from institutions offering courses or training in teacher education immediately before the appointed day.
- To consider applications for recognition from institutions intending to offer a course for training in teacher education.
- To consider applications for increase in the intake of students to the courses/programmes already included while granting recognition.
- To consider applications from existing recognized institutions for permission to start any new programme in teacher education.
- To deal with issues which fall under section 17 of the Act;
- To perform such other functions as may be assigned by the Council from time to time.
- Processing of pending applications for grant of recognition under Section 14 and Section 15.
- Processing of new applications for grant of recognition under Section 14 and Section 15.
- Issuance of revised Recognition Orders to the existing Teacher Education Institutions, in view of the enhanced course duration of B.Ed., M.Ed. and B.P.Ed as per the Regulations 2014.
- Processing of matters falling under Section 17 of the Act as received from various stake holders.
- Coordinating with NCTE Head Quarters in conducting of various meetings, workshops and other programmes at the Regional level.
Rules, Regulations, Norms and Procedures
Information to Public
- Decisions and Minutes of the Meetings of Regional Committees.
- Public notice with regard to the implementation of Regulations 2014 to all the pending and existing institutions.
- Decision of the RCs on the issuance of revised orders to existing B.Ed, M.Ed. and B.P.Ed. programmes.
- Legal Counsels of NCTE in the RCs and at the Supreme Court of India.
- Up to date decisions of the Council and the Head Quarters having implication for any of the stake holders relating to with Teacher Education.
- Minutes of the meeting of NCTE with the Affiliating Bodies on issuance of NOC for applying for new programmes or additional intake of existing programmes.
- List of Teacher Education institutions issued revised orders for conducting B.Ed, M.Ed and B.P.Ed of enhanced course duration as per Regulations 2014.
- List of institutions granted new Recognition for conduct of various Teacher Education programmes from the academic year 2015-2016.
- List of institutions not issued revised orders for conducting the B.Ed, M.Ed and B.P.Ed of enhanced course duration as per Regulations 2014.
- Extension of time for grant of new Recognition from the Academic Session 2015-16.
- Notification of enhanced fee for processing of applications and appeals by the MHRD.