NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR TEACHER EDUCATION
The 29th February 1996
[Published in the Gazette of India Part III —Section 4 as No. 15 on April 13, 1996]
No. F 28-7/95-NCTE— In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) and clauses (f) and (k) of sub-section 2 of Section 32 read with sub-section (1), (5) and (6) of Section 19 of the National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993 (No. 73 of 1993), the National Council for Teacher Education hereby makes the following Regulations, namely:
1. Short Title and Commencement
(1) These Regulations may be called the National Council for Teacher Education (matters relating to quorum, co-option and meetings of the Executive Committee) Regulations, 1995.
(2) These Regulations shall come into force from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
In these Regulations unless the context otherwise requires: _
(a) “Act” means the National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993 (No.73 of1993).
(b) “Council” means the National Council for Teacher Education.
(c) “Executive Committee” means the Executive Committee of the Council constituted under sub-Section (1) of section 19 of the Act.
3. Meetings of the Executive Committee
(1) The Executive Committee shall meet as often as may be necessary to transact its business but shall meet at least twice in a calendar year.
(2) The Chairperson shall fix the date, time and place of the meetings of the Executive Committee and approve the items of the Agenda for the meetings.
(3) A member shall attend all the meetings of the Executive Committee save where leave of absence has been granted by the Chairperson in writing and sign the attendance register kept in the meeting.
4. Notice of meetings and list of business
(1) A written notice of every meeting of the Executive Committee shall be given to all the members of the Executive Committee at least ten days before the date fixed for the meeting.
(2) The notice shall state the place, date and time of the meeting and shall specify the business proposed to be transacted thereat.
(3) A separate agenda material for the meeting shall be despatched alongwith the notice or immediately thereafter.
(4) No business which is not on the agenda shall be considered at the meeting without the permission of the Chairperson or in his absence the Vice -Chairperson or the other presiding member, as the case may be.
5. All questions coming up before any meeting of the Executive Committee shall be decided by a majority of the votes of the members present and voting. In the event of equal votes for or against a question, the Chairperson or in the absence of Chairperson, the person presiding over the meeting shall have the power to exercise a second or casting vote.
(1) At every meeting, of the Executive Committee at least one-third of the Members excluding the number of vacancies shall form the quorum.
(2) If at any meeting quorum is not complete, the presiding member shall, after waiting for 30 minutes, adjourn the meeting for such hour on the same day or following day or some other day as he may think fit and a notice of such adjournment shall be given to the members present as well affixed on the Notice Board of the Council and the business which was to have been brought before the original meeting had there been a quorum shall be brought before the adjourned meeting and may be disposed of irrespective of the quorum.
7. Emergent Meetings
(a) The Chairperson may call an Emergent meeting of the Executive Committee at any time reducing the period of notice at his discretion to deal with any urgent matter requiring its attention.
(b) The Chairperson shall call an Emergent meeting at his discretion on the merits of urgency if he receives a requisition in writing signed by not fewer than five members and stating the purpose for which they desire the meeting to be called is made to the Chairperson.
8. Minutes of the Meetings
(1) Immediately after each meeting of the Executive Committee, the Member Secretary shall draw up the minutes of the meeting and submit the same to the Chairperson, Vice Chairperson or the other presiding member, as the case may be, for his approval for taking further necessary action. The minutes, so approved, shall be circulated to the members of Executive Committee.
(2) The minutes circulated under sub-regulation 8(1) above shall be placed before the Executive Committee for confirmation and be subject to such modifications, if any, as the Executive Committee may deem fit to make therein, and the minutes so approved, shall be signed by the Chairperson. Vice-Chairperson, or the other presiding member, as the case may be, and may form a part of the computer files and the register to be maintained for reference and record.
9. Co-option of persons
The Executive Committee may draw a panel of persons for co-option in the various fields pertaining to the functions of the Council whose assistance and advice it may desire in carrying out the functions assigned to the Executive Committee. The Chairperson shall co-opt two persons from the panel approved by the Executive Committee to the particular meeting depending upon the items included in the agenda for the particular meeting.
Provided, however, that the Executive Committee shall review the panel as and when such contingency arises in the interest of the Council.