NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR TEACHER EDUCATION
New Delhi, the 10th January, 1996
[Published in the Gazette of India, Part III - Section 4 as No. 8 on 24 February,1996]
No. F.28-5/95-NCTE–In exercise of the powers conferred in clause (a) of sub-section (2) of Section 32 read with sub-section (1) of Section 7 of the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) Act, 1993 (No. 73 to 1993), the National Council for Teacher Education hereby makes the following regulations, viz.,
1. Short Title and Commencement
These regulations may be called the National Council for Teacher Education (procedure relating to meetings of the Council and quorum for such meeting) Regulations, 1995.
They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the official Gazette.
In these regulations unless the context otherwise requires : _
(a) “Act” means the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) Act, 1993 (No. 73 of 1993).
(b) “Council” means the National Council for Teacher Education.
(c) “Chairperson” means the Chairperson of the Council.
(d) “Vice-Chairperson” means the Vice-Chairperson of the Council.
(e) “Member Secretary” means the Member Secretary of the Council.
3. Meetings of the Council
(1) The Council shall meet as often as may be necessary to transact its business but shall meet atleast once in a calendar year.
(2) The Chairperson shall fix the date, time and place of the meeting of the Council and approve the agenda for the meeting.
(3) A member shall attend all the meetings of the Council, save where leave of absence has been granted by the Chairperson in writing, and shall sign the meetings book kept for such meetings.
4. Notice of meeting and list of business
(1) A written notice for every meeting of the Council shall be given by the Member Secretary to all the members a least fifteen days before the date fixed for the meeting.
(2) The notice shall state the place, date and time of the meeting and shall specify the business proposed to be transacted thereat.
(3) A separate agenda for the meeting shall be prepared and despatched to all the members alongwith the notice or immediately thereafter.
(4) No business which is not on the agenda shall be considered at the meeting without the permission of the Chairperson or in his absence the Vice-Chairperson or the other presiding member, as the case may be.
(1) At every meeting of the Council at least one-third of the Members, excluding the number of vacancies, shall form the quorum.
(2) If at any meeting the quorum is not available for any reason, the presiding member shall, after waiting for thirty minutes, adjourn the meeting to such hour on the same day or the following day or some other day as he may think fit and the notice of such adjournment shall be given to the members present, as well as affixed on the Notice Board of the Council and business which was to have been brought before the original meeting had there been a quorum, shall be brought before the adjourned meeting and may be disposed of irrespective of the quorum.
6. Emergent Meetings
(a) The Chairperson may call an emergent meeting of the Council at any time reducing the period of notice at his discretion to deal with any urgent matter requiring its attention.
(b) The Chairperson shall call an emergent meeting at his discretion on the merits of urgency if he receives a requisition in writing signed by not fewer than seven members and stating the purpose for which they desire the meeting to be called.
7. Minutes of the Meeting
(1) Immediately after each meeting of the Council, the Member Secretary shall draw up the minutes of the meeting and submit the same to the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson or the other presiding member, as the case may be, for his approval for taking further necessary action. The minutes so approved shall be circulated to all the members of the Council for inviting comments, if any.
(2) The minutes circulated under sub-regulation (1) of Regulation 7 shall be placed before the Council for confirmation and subject to such modifications, if any, as the Council may deem fit to be made therein. The minutes so approved shall be signed by the Chairperson or in his absence the Vice-Chairperson or the presiding member, as the case may be, and may form a part of the computer files and the register to be maintained for reference and record.
National Council for Teacher Education